Copycat Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup
I love Panera Bread Brocolli Cheddar Soup so I set out on the hunt to create the perfect Copycat recipe. Here is what I came up with! There are lots of options and ingrediants you can add to make this soup your own. You can add differnt cheese, add extra veggies, extra garlic, or sour cream to the finished soup. The list is endless! Make it your own and serve topped with shredded cheese!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 medium chopped onion
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1/2 lb broccoli (about 3 cups), chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 cup carrot , julienned (can buy matchstick carrots in produce section)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional but brings out the flavor)
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese (2 cups)
- salt and pepper
Melt the 1/4 cup butter and sautee the onions in it until soft. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
Whisk in the half & half and chicken stock.
Add the broccoli and carrots. Cook over low heat for 20-25 minutes or until the broccoli and carrots are tender.
Add salt and pepper. You can leave the soup chunky or blend about 1 cup of the soup and stir it in for a smoother soup (that's what I do). Return to low heat and add the cheese. If your heat is too high your soup can get grainy. Stir in the nutmeg if desired.
Serve with crusty bread.